Friday 20 May 2011

Long overdue AMNH visit!


Oh how time disappears quicker than a rat down a drain-pipe...It seems only last week that I was promising images of the American Museum of Natural History )New York), but failed miserably at getting back to my blog...until now!

Just entering the museum provides you with a stunning dino-tastic diorama...and that's before you even have to part with any money! If you get a chance...just stand underneath this vast animal and look straight up. Some dinosaurs were not just big, they were huge...
The dinosaur galleries are something to behold and have long been a favorite of mine. This is where I shall pictorially take you now.
The dinosaurs are divided into two main halls, one saurischian and the other ornithischian...lets start with our friends the lizard hipped beasties.
Here Apatosaurus ambles along in some Paluxy River (Texas) sauropod tracks....quite apt! Opposite is a theropod...
...possibly my favorite large predator from the Jurassic...which always leaves room for the skull and skeletal mount of possibly the most famous, or should I say infamous, predatory dinosaur in the world.....
...yup, Tyrannosaurus rex. This is the skull that we all want to see....well, almost! I have to admit there are other stunning predatory dinosaur fossils in this exhibition, some who lack in size, make-up on tooth count to cause major trauma...such as my favorite small theropod, Deinonychus.
However, before I depart on a Cretaceous note, why not end on a rather important predator from the Triassic of Ghost Ranch (New Mexico). A great location name, filled with beautiful fossils of one of the earliest predatory dinosaurs, Coelophysis...
Last and certainly not least...we must not forget the strange theropods from Mongolia, no...not Velocirapter, as they are not that strange at all, but jumping beak-first into the theropod (I forgot my teeth) strangeness awards, is Oviraptor...
...perched, or should I say 'nesting' on a clutch of eggs. This mis-named dinosaur, mistaken for an egg-thief, should have been named 'Ovimaiasaura'...the 'egg-good-mother' dinosaur!

It would be unfair to show you all the saurischian dinosaurs at the AMNH, as you HAVE to visit there if you ever find yourself in New York City. Now...that is enough tooth (toothless) and claw for one day. Tomorrow (I hope) I will take you to the land of bird-hipped dinosaurs, the ornithischians at the AMNH.

No comments:

Post a Comment